Neuroscience Research and Development Group (NRDG) was established on September 21, 2008 under the Faculty of Medicine Khon Kaen University. During the initial years, Prof. Dr. Suthipun Jitpimolmard was a founder and director of the research group with the administrative committee from Health Sciences faculties. Currently, NRDG has been directed by Asst. Prof. Dr.Teekayu Plangkoon Jorns, Faculty of Dentistry, Khon Kaen University and has continuously supported multidisciplinary neuroscience research with our vision to become a leader in basic and clinical neuroscience research of the regional, national and ASEAN levels. NRDG has not only advocated research and development of neuroscience capabilities but also support inovations for prevention, diagnosis and treatment especially in Orofacial Pain to improve education and quality of life in North Eastern Thai commnities and neighboring countries. NRDG has variety of academic activities as follows,
- National and International network of collaborations
- Research and development
- Graduate studies
- Research grant for multidisciplinary neuroscience research
- Academic service, training and conference
CURRENT RESEARCH PROJECT/RESEARCH INTEREST
- Orofacial Pain
- Temporomandibular disorders
- Occlusal disabilities
- Dental Sleep Medicine
- Neurological diseases and disorders in elderly
- Telemedicine in Orofacial Pain
NRDG has a network of Orofacial Pain speciaties, academic and research collaborations with other faculties inside and outside of Khon Kaen University, such as Chulalongkorn University, Mahidol University, Prince of Songkhla, Thammasat University, and Naresuan University. Our international collaborations includes Harvard University, Tufts University, University of Sydney, UCLA school of Dentistry and University of Phillipines etc.
- Paphangkorakit J, Chaichit R, Khummool K, Nopphaisit S, Saengsai A. Effect of biting speed and jaw separation on force used to incise food. J Oral Rehabil. 2020;00:1–5.
- Somsri P, Paphangkorakit J, Kimsuksri S, Phajongviriyatorn P. Sweet Difference Threshold of Strawberry-Flavored Carbonated Drink in 8-Year-Old Children in Khon Kaen. JDAT-DFCT (Supplement Issue) Vol.69 2019; 68-74.
- Sumonsiri P, Thongudomporn U, Paphangkorakit J, Premprabha T. Assessment of the relationship between masticatory performance, occlusal contact area, chewing time and cycles, and gastric emptying scintigraphy in dentate subjects. J Oral Rehabil 2019.
- Ruangsri S, Norraparn C, Theprungsirikul W, Tiskratok W, Yodsuwan D, Puasiri S, Sawanyawisuth K. Prevalence and Risk Factors of Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Edentate Patients at Faculty of Dentistry, KKU. J Med Assoc Thai 2020;103(Suppl.1): 1-6.
- Piyawattanataworn W, Siritapetawee M, Chatrchaiwiwatana S, Paphangkorakit J. Validity of Wear at the Upper Canine’s Cusp Tip in Predicting Sleep Bruxism. J Med Assoc Thai 2020;103(Suppl.1): 7-12.
- Sarideechaigul W, Jorns TP, Ruangsri S, Chaijit R. Effectiveness of the Intervention using Group Empowering Self-management on Patients with Burning Mouth Syndrome. J Med Assoc Thai 2020;103(Suppl.1): 19-23.
- Siritapetawee M, Chatrchaiwiwatana S. Factors Associated with Temporomandibular Disorders in Thai Adults. J Med Assoc Thai 2020;103(Suppl.1): 24-31.
- Khimsuksri S, Tangkabutra S, Tapananont T, Sangaroon S, Rattanathongkom A, Paphangkorakit J. Effect of Stepwise Sugar Reduction on the Satisfaction of Sucrose-Sweetened Drink. J Med Assoc Thai 2020;103(Suppl.1): 32-5.
- Sarideechaigul W, Kitkhuandee A, Siritapetawee M, Butda P, Jorns TP. Profiling of Patients Presenting with Trigeminal Neuralgia and Outcomes of Medical Management in a Tertiary Care Center. J Med Assoc Thai 2019; 102 (4):57
- Ruangsri S, Jorns TP, Chaiyarit P. Opiorphin level in Unstimulated Whole Saliva of Burning Mouth Syndrome Patients. Journal of the Medical Association of Thailand. J Med Assoc Thai 2019;102(Suppl.3):63-7.
- Jorns TP, Ieamsuwantada T, Puttakun P, Tiamkao S, Kitkhuandee A, Noisombut R. Single-Dose Botulinum Toxin as Adjunctive Treatment for Trigeminal Neuralgia: A Pilot Study. J Med Assoc Thai 2019; 102 (4):68
- Jorns TP, Loppanthong S, Pansaeng P, Puasiri S. Validity and Reliability Testing of the E-san version of the Short-form McGill Pain Questionnaire in Musculoskeletal, Neuropathic and Odontogenic Pain. J Med Assoc Thai 2019; 102 (4):75
- Limpawattana P, Putraveephong S, Inthasuwan P, Boonsawat W, Theerakulpisut D, Chindaprasirt J. Frailty syndrome in ambulatory patients with COPD. International Journal of COPD, 1193–1198.
- Limpawattana P, Srinonprasert V, Manjavong M, Pairojkul S, Chindaprasirt J, Kaiyakit S, Juntararuangtong T, Yongrattanakit K and Kuichanuan T. Thai medical students’ attitudes regarding what constitutes a “good death”: a multicenter study. BMC Medical Education 19:78 ; 1-8.
- Manjavong M, Srinonprasert V, Limpawattana P, Chindaprasirt J, Pairojkul S, Kuichanuan T, Kaiyakit S, Juntararuangtong T, Yongrattanakit K, Pimporm J, Thongkoo J. Comparison of Thai older patients’ wishes and nurses’ perceptions regarding end-of-life care. Nurs Ethics. 2019 Mar 6:969733019826410. doi: 10.1177/0969733019826410.
- Chindaprasirt J, Wongtirawit N, Limpawattana P, Srinonprasert V, Manjavong M, Chotmongkol V, Pairojkul S, Sawanyawisuth K. Perception of a “good death” in Thai patients with cancer and their relatives. heliyon 2019.
- Srinonprasert V, Limpawattana P, Manjavong M, Kuichanuan T, Juntararuangtong T, Yongrattanakit K. Perspectives regarding what constitutes a “good death” among Thai nurses: A cross-sectional study. Nurs Health Sci.. 2019;1–6.
- Srinonpraserta V, Manjavongb M, Limpawattanab P, Chotmongkolc V, Pairojkuld S, Chindaprasirte J, Yongrattanakitf K, Kaiyakitf S, Juntararuangtong T, Kuichanuan T. A comparison of preferences of elderly patients for end-of-life period and their relatives’ perceptions in Thailand. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics;1-7.
- Nakhengrit C, Boonprakob Y, Jorns TP, Paphangkorakit J, Pitiphat W, Paungmali A. Comparative Efficacy of Multiplane Force Application and Ischemic Compression on Masticatory Muscles: A Randomized Controlled Trial. J Med Assoc Thai 2019;102(Suppl.5): 106-12.
- Paphangkorakit J, Kanpittaya K, Pawanja N, Pitiphat W. Effect of chewing rate on meal intake. Eur J Oral Sci 2018; 000: 1–5.
- Kitkhuandee A , Kittiarnan P, Jorns TP, Thirapatarapan P, Thanapaisal C. Intra-operative Findings in Microvascular Decompression for Trigeminal Neuralgia. J Med Assoc Thai 2018; 101 (5):163
- Weraarchakul W , Weraarchakul W , Weraarchakul S , Siritapetawee M. Prevalence of Developmental Enamel Defects in Children with Cleft Lip and Palate: A Systematic Review. J Med Assoc Thai 2018; 101 (5):239
- Umka Welbat J, Chaisawang P, Pannangrong W, Wigmore P. Neuroprotective Properties of Asiatic Acid against 5-Fluorouracil Chemotherapy in the Hippocampus in an Adult Rat Model. Nutrients 2018, 10, 1053 :1-11.
- Chaijaroonkhanarak W, Pannangrong W, Umka Welbat J, Namking M, Khamanarong K, Prachaney P. Double inferior vena cava with three shunts: a rare anomaly with important implications for surgeons. Folia Morphol., 2017, Vol. 76, No. 2 : 307-311.
- Chompoonimit A, Nualnetr N. The impact of task-oriented client-centered training on individuals with spinal cord injury in the community. Spinal Cord (2016) 54 : 849-854.
- Kongbunkiat K, Kasemsap N, Tiamkao S, Chotmongkol V, Sawanyawisuth K, Mekawichi P, Pavakul K, Soison P, Jattawanin J, Kaitchanon P, Yaowapruek W, Arayawichanon A. Thanun Thanwiset MDThrombolysis in ischaemic stroke in rural North East Thailand by neurologist and non-neurologists. Neurology Asia 2016; 21(4) : 325 – 331.
- Hirai T, Mulpuri Y, Cheng Y, Xia Z, Li W, Ruangsri S, Spigelman I, Nishimura I. Aberrant plasticity of peripheral sensory axons in a painful neuropathy. Sci Rep. 2017 Jun 13;7(1):3407.
- Chaisawang P, Sirichoat A, Chaijaroonkhanarak W,Pannangrong W, Sripanidkulchai B, Wigmore P,Umka Welbat J. Asiatic acid protects against cognitive deficits and reductions in cell proliferation and survival in the rat hippocampus caused by 5-fluorouracil chemotherapy. PLOS ONE July 10, 2017: 1-14.
- Tiamkao S, Pranboon S, Thepsuthammarat K, Sawanyawisuth K. Factors predicting the outcomes of elderly hospitalized myasthenia gravis patients: a national database study. International Journal of General Medicine 2017:10 131–135.
- Thorajak P, Pannangrong W, Umka Welbat J, Chaijaroonkhanarak W, Sripanidkulchai K, Sripanidkulchai B. Effects of Aged Garlic Extract on Cholinergic, Glutamatergic and GABAergic Systems with Regard to Cognitive Impairment in Aβ-Induced Rats. Nutrients 2017, 9, 686.
Excellent center for Orofacial pain management
Academic conference e.g. I-SAN Neurological Diseases with the Neuroscience Association in the Northeast region
Community services e.g. campaign in dementia prevention, dental mobile service in the remote areas
Quality assessment of Orofacial Pain Residency program and training instritution
Empowerment programs in Chronic Orofacial Pain management for patients and caregivers
Workshop in Dental management of snoring and sleep apnea by interdisciplinary teams
Supporting research funds for undergraduate/graduate students and interesting case conference
Knowledge exchange in multidisciplinary management of Chronic Orofacial Pain
Neuroscience Research and Development Group (NRDG)
Orofacial Pain and Oral Medicine Clinic, Faculty of Dentistry, Khon Kaen University
123 Mittraphap Rd, Muang, Khon Kaen, 40002 Thailand
Phone +66 4320-2222-41 ext. 11181
Head of the research group:
Asst. Prof. Dr. Teekayu Plankoon Jorns,
Faculty of Dentistry, Khon Kaen University